Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's All Orange to Me

Okay, so I have to remember to feed Isobel her solids today - twice. This is not something I thought that I would ever have to write down, but it has come to this.

She had pumpkin for the second day in a row at lunch today and had about half a cube by default. By "default" I mean that most of what I put in came right out again and we continued until she had about half a cube. She really delighted in playing this game!

This is one part of parenthood that before I had kids I thought I would find really tedious. But now that I am here, with 2 kids, there is nothing that I would rather be doing than playing this pumpkin game with Isobel as it means that I am not posting invoices or organising shipping from one of my suppliers or stuck in traffic or watching that pile of laundry get even bigger. Right now at this moment in time is just for Isobel and me to enjoy together, it is very precious.

At least I thought it was pumpkin....yesterday I steamed about 750g of organic pumpkin and after I pureed and spooned it into my mumi&bubi BPA-free freezing trays, I thought I might as well steam those organic carrots that were in the fridge while I was at it. Food should be cooked as fresh as possible after all, and not be left to fester for too long in the fridge. So, overnight in my freezer, I had 1 tray of pumpkin and 1 tray of carrots. I wouldn't recommend anyone to freeze to trays of what looks like near-identical food unless you have a really good memory, or keep good notes!

After licking some of this "defaulted pumpkin" off of my arm - I like to think that I am somewhat of a lady, the kind of person who would never lick food off of their own arm, but having babies changes this perception into a whole new reality - I was surprised to find that this pumpkin actually tasted more like mild, sweet carrot!

So, Isobel had pumpkin and carrot on alternating days, and she seems just fine with this. As for me, I will try keep my food colours separate on my baby food cooking days. Tomorrow: Zucchini and Cauliflower...

Recipe for Pumpkin:
Butternut Pumpkin, 250g to make 7 cubes or 750g to fill 21 cubes or 1 whole freezing tray.
Preparation:
-peel pumpkin and cut into cubes or small pieces.
-lightly steam or gently simmer in a saucepan with 2-3 tablespoons of boiling water. Cover and allow to cool. Mash with a fork for older babies or puree using a handheld blender or food processor.
-place portions into your mumi&bubi premium freezing tray, cover with the lid and freeze.

Nutritional Information for Pumpkin:
The orange colour signifies that it is high in beta-carotene and is good for your baby's eyes and skin. It is also good for the immune system and helps to keep you healthy during cold & flu season. 1 cup of pumpkin contains only 30 calories and is a good source of potassium.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment