Monday, January 11, 2010

Disaster #1?



Here are my lovely apple cubes freshly frozen in my mumi&bubi BPA-free freezing tray, with one ready to be introduced at lunchtime. I got some delicious Pacific Rose apples from IE Produce when I was there for my rice cereal mission. 3 large sized apples filled the tray with only a bite to spare.

If you have a baby starting solids soon, or already on solid food, making your own baby food is a lot easier than you might think. For this apple recipe, simply wash, peel and core each apple and cut into similar size pieces. I lightly steamed these apples using my stainless steel steamer inside of a pot with a little bit of water on the bottom, steaming is ideal for retaining all of the nutritional goodness. You could also simmer the apples until tender. Whichever way you choose, be sure to save the water and use that when pureeing for a good liquid-y consistency.

I follow the solids theory that you should start a new food at lunchtime, have the same new food for 2-3 days or so, then move on. With all of the fruits and veg on offer, there is a lot to get through! From now on, she will have her rice cereal at dinnertime mixed with a fruit or veg that she has had previously on its own at lunchtime.

Isobel loved her apple puree after her bottle at lunch, she had nearly a whole cube which is about 2Tbsp. Enter Disaster #1 that evening.

Dinner that night was hectic to say the least: Both "Nana" and "Grammy from Canada" were at dinner, Max was buzzing around as it was his first day back at daycare after the Christmas holiday so he was dual-ly excited about seeing his friends again and having both nanas over at the same time, and I had 2 glasses of wine. Now, I hardly ever drink, let alone on a weekday so I was pretty relaxed and enjoying the moment with my family.

The sun was shining as it was setting, we were out on the deck, it was a lovely summer evening. Isobel was very content as I kissed her goodnight and put her to bed after her bottle....without her solids. Oh my goodness, only 3 days onto this and I forgot to feed my baby girl her dinner solids!

OMG - what kind of mother am I??? This kind of thing never happens with first babies. At this rate, if I have a 3rd baby, it will hardly get fed at all. Not that she missed it, but let me tell you, I'll be missing my sleep when I have to get up at 5am to feed her because she is hungry...

Recipe for Pureed Apple:
Apple, 250g or 2 medium apples to fill 7 cubes or 1 row, 750g or 6 medium apples to make 21 cubes and fill 1 whole tray.
-wash, peel and core and quarter apples
-lightly steam or gently simmer with 2-3 tablespoons of boiling water with lid on until tender. Mash for older babies or puree using some of the reserved cooking water using a handheld blender or food processor
-spoon portions into your mumi&bubi premium BPA-free freezing tray, cover with the lid and freeze

Nutritional Information for Apple
:
Apples are rich in Vitamin C which is important for your baby's developing teeth and gums. 1 medium apple, without the skin, contains approx 65 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment